Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Is makeup good or bad?


If you have Twitter then you may have heard about the attention circulating around a before and after photo of a glamorous makeover. The photos have stirred up controversy and debate about whether or not makeup is good or bad. If you have not heard about it or seen these photos you can find them by clicking HERE

I think the main problem people have with the photos is that it represents what people are suppose to look like in society today rather than what they actually look like. Some comments in support of the photo claim that makeup can make “normal” or “ugly” girls look pretty, and that with the magic of makeup you can no longer tell what a person really looks like.

I can see how these views would oppose makeup; women should feel beautiful regardless of having a face heavily cloaked in cosmetics and know that beauty is not the factor that defines who you are. People who judge their self worth based on looks and the opinions of others cannot be content with themselves because beauty is subjective. No matter how hard you try or how much makeup you pat on you won’t be attractive to every single person you come across and you can’t please everyone. Ideally women should do what makes them feel great and look the way they want; not to impress others but to enhance their existing feelings of confidence and positive self worth.

Completely changing the way a woman looks to make her more presentable for the public is not a new concept. Magazine ads are always trimming inches off thighs; erasing fine lines and making excess skin disappear. I have no idea if the woman who participated in this makeover was happy or felt good about herself, but I do know that no matter what you look like on the outside you are still essentially you.

There are many reasons women may not be happy with their looks or body, and those reasons could stem from many different experiences, but to address those issues and change that thought process you have to first get to the root of the problem which I doubt is makeup. People should have a sense of realistic expectations. Every day we are bombarded with misleading airbrushed images that are impossible to live up to and achieve. Self worth is a mindset; it is about knowing who you are and liking and accepting who you are with or without makeup.

Dressing well, looking polished, wearing makeup and putting your best self forward can boost your confidence and there is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best. Not every woman who decides to contour her nose, define her cheek bones and wear lipstick has low self esteem or is hiding behind her makeup. I wear makeup because I like it. I wear it to enhance my features, to add some variety and color to my face and to have fun with the way I look. Makeup can be artistic, enhancing and creative it is not always a mask that aims to make us all more presentable to the world or hide who we are. If you are using it for those reasons then your issues do not reside within the use of makeup but within yourself.

31 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your view on this. I actually like to do things now that I'm married that hubby likes. For me, I had to stop wearing makeup at one point in my life because I wanted to be ok and love who I was and looked like without it. Now that I feel beautiful with or without it, I'm more comfortable looking at different looks and ways to apply it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not seen this or heard about it but you make so many good points! I feel like people are always looking for something to complain about or criticize and it's a bit ridiculous! Like who knows who the girl actually is or how she feels about herself / makeup or anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there are bigger issues in the world. Plus I have seen makeup used to cover very large and obtrusive scars, birthmarks and even skin conditiones, so it can be helpful to people as well.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you! And after seeing the pics, I definitely need to learn how to properly contour my nose. lol I think that women can use makeup to their advantage and cover up/change the things that they are insecure about. There is nothing wrong with changing or covering something to make yourself feel better. You just have to make sure you're doing it for yourself and not for someone else. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, there are so many people in the world who are stressed, depressed and dealing with so much, so who cares if a little makeup gives them a pick me up! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Excellent post. I wear makeup because I enjoy it. I love to play with and experiment with makeup. A lot of other women use make up as art with creating artistic looks. It does boost my confidence a little, but it is not the sole reason why I wear it. Hubby always tells me that I don't need makeup because he says that make up covers my natural beauty. He is not a fan at all when it comes to makeup lol. Believe it or all those women who wear tons of makeup to attract men will actually turn a lot of men away. In reality the majority of men really don't like makeup. Some just want natural beauty.

    www.muslimahluvsmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby always tells me I don't need makeup and that I am beautiful without it but he also loves how I apply my makeup. He actually notices when I use different techniques or try different colors and he loves it.

      Delete
  5. I think her transformation was pretty much exaggerated to send out the message of how make-up artists who truly go to school for it can actually transform ones looks. I am sure it's not to make us all feel bad especially girls out there who do not wear make-up or not a fan of make-up, that if we don't put this much effort on ourselves we will not be as "pretty" as the after pic. This definitely sends out a good debate online! I do believe the user basically just wants to show how a make-up can transform you and not to offend any one. I actually give props to the make-up artist who did that to her since I do not come out of my room looking that gorgeous after I do my make-up and would love to see a YouTube on that transformation he/she did to that girl!
    I wear make-up to make myself look presentable and my age since if I don't, with my 5'2 height, people think I am still a kid! And recently I am learning all these techniques which is pretty exciting and interesting and fun!
    Thanks for this great post Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think the makeup artist who did this was very talented! There is so much more to makeup too. I love watching movie makeup transformations they are amazing.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen this particular photo, but I did see that old Dove commercial circulating Youtube again. I really do agree with the points you made, and that it doesn't matter how much makeup someone is wearing. It all depends on what that individual feels like inside - and who's to know that but them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I hope they aren't judging this model, because we all know people love to just judge away!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you too. I wear make-up for myself because I enjoy it. I view it as a form of creativity and self-expression.

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right my dear. I am firm believer in makeup being an enhancement rather than a cover-up or to make you look totally different than who you are. But sometimes its fun to play around with and become creative and let your artistic side show to see what looks you can come up with. It's always amazing to see the transformations that people have. However, for the day to day, your makeup is an enhancement and if you do need a little bit of covering up blemishes, acne, etc.. then sure go right ahead. But you shouldn't spend every day trying to cover up who you really are. :)

    Wonderful post and very well said my dear.

    Oh btw, I'm stealing your button! Hehe. :)

    ciaobella0816.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and lord knows I have some blemishes I don't want poking out lol

      Delete
  9. VERY GOOD READ!
    http://nita-karoliina.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, I tend not to look so deep into the matter, I wear makeup because I want to, and if someone is going to judge me because of that, then judge away :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you can't control what other people think or say but as long as you know who you are, you will be fine!

      Delete
  11. This was an interesting post to read... I had not seen that picture or article before. I am definitely a makeup fun. That being said, I don't wear makeup everyday. I would prefer to use makeup to enhance my looks not completely change the way my face looks. The best compliment is when other people compliment the way you look but cant believe you have makeup on. Less is more; unless it's for some big fancy event! At least in my opinion, fancy events are the time to go extreme on your makeup!

    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Erica! I wear make up because I want to and I enjoy applying it. I always say even if you are the most beautiful looking woman, but has an ugly personality, others will see right through your personality and not think of you as a beautiful person.

    Also, just because I choose to wear make up, does not make me or others superficial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, an ugly personality always comes through

      Delete
  13. Wonderful post! Astounding what make-up can do! I never wear a full face though and you could always recognize me! LOL! It also is a bit unfair for all the men of the world as they can not cheat like us! Beautiful written my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I agree, sometimes I see men who could use a bit of concealer :)

      Delete
  14. love this! I think its crazy what make up can do for someone and how it really alters everyone's perspectives!
    koopandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes makeup magic can be wonderful :) thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  15. I completely agree. Makeup doesn't change who you are, and if you are someone who enjoys it enjoy it for your own pleasure and not someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with the arguments you make in your post 100%. I think people get the wrong idea when they see things like this and assume the negatives rather than the positives. Instead of appreciating the artistry of make-up and the talent of the artist they go straight to the negatives; low self esteem, trying to change the way they look etc. when this image could be described as the complete opposite. I also think it is everyone's choice to determine how they want to present themselves so if plastering your face with make-up raises your self esteem then do what ever gets you through your day, there are people out there doing worse to get through their days yet people are fussed over a woman enhancing her features, plus why is it ok when a celebrity does it but when regular people do its a problem?. To add I don't believe in the idea that make-up makes an "ugly" or relatively "normal" person look beautiful, I believe that you must have already have i.e. that bone structure, pouty lips, olive eyes etc. make-up cannot create something that isn't there it can only enhance, anything more then you start to head towards the drag queen look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your opinion on this issue. I agree with u that make-up isn't the culprit, Low self-esteem is. I believe that make up simply accentuates one's features.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...