Sunday, December 22, 2013

Winter in Canada

This winter has been frigid here in Toronto; even as I write this my hands are cold and I am in desperate need of some hot cocoa and a big fluffy blanket. I don't like being cold but I do love how the world looks after the first heavy snowfall, when everything is covered in a blanket of white and looks serene and peaceful. In order to bring you some photos of winter where I live and for the sake of photography, I bundled up, braced the cold and went to the park when it was -21 degrees Celsius or for the Americans -6 degrees Fahrenheit!!

For those of you living in warm climates who cannot experience a white Christmas I hope you like the photos.
The lake has frozen over

The first touch of winter

Frozen trees

Winter wonderland

The forest is bare and quiet, to me it looks a bit daunting


 Snowy path


There are still hints of color

The trees change with the season, these trees once lush with foliage have become bare and spindly. 

It snowed well into the night and every tree was laden with heavy snow

You can still see some of the last traces of fall on the trees as the remaining leaves hang on to the branches

Lake Ontario

Even though it is cold out like true Canadians some try to make the most of this lengthy season by playing hockey in the park.


Recently here in Toronto we had an ice storm! Everything is now covered in inches of ice, some people are even ice skating on the street! Although the trees look beautiful it is very dangerous. Many houses are without power and there have been many car accidents, broken bones from slipping on sidewalks and dangerous branches being broken off the trees and falling on power lines, homes and cars. I tried to capture the prettier side of this storm in the photos below.



What has winter been like where you live?

13 comments:

  1. We have 2-3 feet of snow here.... Freezing rain last night made it extra fun outside. Now there is a painful ice layer on top of everything!

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! this is how Peterborough looks like, we had freezing rain this morning. Nice pictures.
    effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures! I live so far south, and we only get snow about once every few years. But everything looks so beautiful covered in snow, so I wish it snowed a little more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are beautiful pictures!! I live in Massachusetts... Not too much snow yet, and it's been in the high 50's here the past few days! Crazy New England weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos are very beautiful! I love the cold weather and snow.
    I live in Greece, we're supposed to have cold winters, but nothing like this. It's just that the change from summer weather to winter is very sudden.
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are gorgeous! We don't have winter in the Philippines. I swear I just wished I could jump into those photos and make snow angels! Huhu Anyhoo, Merry Christmas Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, reminds me of my winters in Scandinavia :O). Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you bundled up and sacrificed for us - your photos are beautiful! The pic above Lake Ontario is my fav! Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures! I wish I were in a winter wonderland right now. Snow makes everything look so magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these impressions! Beautiful atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pics :)
    We have all four seasons in Lithuania. Though there is still no snow today :( Send me some, Erica ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...