Wednesday, March 2, 2016

NYX Highlight & Contour Pro Palette Review + Color Correcting Concealer

If your sculpting game is on-point then you probably noticed that the NYX Contour Palette is a big hit with beauty junkies and makeup artists. When I attended the launch party for the Canadian store it was one of the first items to go and girls were snatching it up faster than I could swatch a lipstick! With new makeup trends popping up all the time including strobing, clown contouring and even spoon contouring it seems like the chiselled look is here to stay.


I’m all for defined, sexy facial structure so this palette has finally made its way into my collection. I like having a variety of shades to customize my look, from light shading to deeper definition and everything in-between. With 4 highlight colors and 4 matte brown hues this palette is quite versatile so you can achieve the perfect profile for all your selfies!

The packaging is sturdy, sleek and simple plus each circle is refillable so you can pop them out and replace or alternate as needed.


I have issues with contour colors that aren’t true browns and I’ve come across formulas that were ashy or lacking the richness I prefer but these hues are wonderful! Each brown is deep and nicely pigmented so you can intensify them for the perfect facial shape and elongate or slim the nose. The smooth, silky powder adheres well to brushes and transfers effortless to skin without much fall-out for fabulous color pay-off.


The highlights have different undertones including silver/white, pink, yellow and beige/champagne for a variety of complexions. They are soft and finely milled for a seamless, luminous finish and there is one shimmery shade among the soft mattes for a radiant glow. The powders brighten the under eye area and cheekbones to accentuate your best features and revive dull skin.



The pigments are lightweight, long wear and non-creasing so you can layer without caking. This is a great set for beginners who are experimenting with contour and for professionals. On my medium complexion I can use every shade in the palette depending on the depth of contour and the effect I want. The powders blend very well so if applied correctly you won’t end up with unsightly dark streaks and they can also be used on the eyes to define the crease and prime the lids. The palette retails for $27.00.


I’ve been on a continuous hunt to find the perfect corrector and like the contour palette this one has a variety of shades for different undertones and complexions. There are 6 hues ranging from yellow, green, purple, pink and two flesh tones. The compact doesn’t include info instructing which colors to use for what so I've included a few guidelines below


Yellow - works for olive and tan skin to correct purple and blue under eye circles and viens.
Green - cancels out red areas like rosacea, blood vessels, acne or sunburn.
Purple or lilac - helps diminish yellow undertones
Pink - works well on fair skin to even out purple under eye circles and the peachy pinks help eliminate dark under eye circles.
Neutrals - conceal skin tones with no prominent undertones.
Orange - conceals dark circles, spots and discoloration on medium and deep skin.

If I have a pimple and need to correct redness and blotchy areas the green is fine, otherwise I find myself using the neutral shade which slightly minimizes and corrects the darkness under my eyes. What this palette lacks is a deep orange but NYX does offer a Correct, Conceal, Contour Palette (see photo below) in medium and deep if this one doesn’t look right for you.


The texture of the pigments is very creamy with good color pay-off so you can swipe them on a tad heavier if need be and blend well so they don’t crease. The palette retails for $14.00.

I want to finish the post by highlighting some of the brand’s most popular lip products, the Soft Matte Lip Creams and Intense Butter Gloss. From Neutrals and nudes to classics like red, pink, wine, plum and orange plus shocking shades including blue, lilac and black there is a color for everyone!

The Lip Creams are sumptuously smooth, vivid and silky with a matte finish and a light, moisturizing formula to enhance your pout. These pretty pigments drench lips in bold, knockout color that can be layered sheer to full coverage to suit your mood.

Shades from left to right: Addis Ababa, London, Ibiza, Black Cherry Tart

The hydrating, comfortable texture glides on buttery for easy application and makes lips feel plush.


The Butter Gloss which is the deepest shade in the photo (Black Cherry Tart) has the same creamy, lush texture but the finish is shiny. The lip products retail for just $9.00 each and are totally worth checking out!

You can now find NYX Cosmetics at Shoppers Drug Mart and visit NYX Canada by clicking HERE

2 comments:

  1. I actually just got into NYX. I got their eyeliner in an Influenster box and have been using it ever since. I actually heard about their lip cremes on Snapchat. I've been trying to get some for a few weeks. I tried Target, but they were sold out. I'm going to give Ulta a try next. That soft matte lip creme just looks so intense and polished, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...