Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Essence Cosmetics Sheer and Shine Lipstick Review

When summer hits many of us like to freshen up our makeup with lightweight formulas and brighter shades. I’m all for a bold lip but sometimes I just want to grab something quickly and glide it on for a simple wash of color without sacrificing moisture. The new Sheer & Shine Lipsticks by Essence allows you to do just that plus they deliver a coat of plush, pouty stain.


The tubes are pretty and bright which always reels me in and there are 9 shades available that range from nude, red, berry, pink and brown. The translucent caps are designed to depict the color inside so you can grab your favorites without having to open them.


The finishes are all very shiny without being gloopy and some shades contain a faint dusting of shimmer. The lightweight formula is a gloss-balm hybrid that provides decent moisture and a radiant finish.

Although most hues appear quite bold and bright the pigmentation is minimal. If you’re looking for tinted lip balms then you may like these but some shades in same color spectrum appear very similar once applied. For more color intensity, you can layer heavier but the lipsticks were formulated to be tame.


For a light stain these do provide a natural pop of color and a healthy tint while alleviating parched lips. I like that the texture clings to skin which makes them last a bit longer without stickiness. The shades that contain subtle shimmer aren’t chunky or uncomfortable. They provide extra luminosity to make lips glisten beautifully.


Initially I didn't care for the scent very much because underneath the sweetness I detect an aroma that (in my opinion) smells a tad musty. This smell does seem to dissipate and improve as you use them and more of the vanilla eventually comes through.



Will I reach for these when I need a tinted balm...maybe, but some of the lighter shades like 06 Frosted and 10 My First Love just didn’t do it for me. These two are so light that they create a white cast on my lips which isn’t cute. That being said there are some pretty hues in the collection including - 03 BFF, 07 Sparkling Miracle, 08 Be Happy and 13 Act Like a Princess which have universally flattering berry and red undertones. If I had to pick just one I’d go with number 13 as it has the brightest summery finish. 


The lipsticks retails for $3.49 each and you can find Essence at Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws and Ulta (in the U.S.)

1 comment:

  1. Love that there are so many pink shades to choose from. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...