Thursday, June 30, 2016

Clarisonic Smart Profile Review

After reading my recent review on the Clarisonic Mia Fit for skincare while traveling, you have probably realized that I take cleansing seriously and that I love this brand! I do have more than one device since I strive to maintain my beauty routine even when my schedule gets crazy or I’m jet setting around the globe. The Mia Fit is small, light and compact so I take it with me on trips but the Smart Profile is larger, heavy duty and more powerful which is perfect for pampering my face and body at home during my weekly spa sessions.


During the summer, my skin is most reactive due to high temperatures, UV and sensitivity to sunscreens and bug sprays that tend to cause irritation. This year I decided to do something about it and get the Smart Profile. It comes with a face brush which delivers the same superior cleansing I’m familiar with plus a body brush with a larger surface so I can achieve healthy, radiant skin from head to toe!

Before I get into the review I’m going to address a question I was recently asked concerning the Clarisonic and the so called “purging phase” which according to some, causes breakouts. There are many opinions about this and I too experienced some irritation when I got my very first device. My advice is simple - don’t overdo it! It can be very tempting and exciting to break open the box and start cleansing twice per day (as some instructions suggest) but until you know how your skin will react, it is a good idea to start with moderate use and work your way up. It is also important to use the right brush head and although the sensitive brush works well for me, there is also a delicate (softer) option available. Initially I experienced a reaction because I was using it too much so I scaled back to about 2-3 times per week (not combined with any other exfoliation) and I’ve had absolutely no irritation or breakouts (triggered by the device) since. Once you determine how much deep cleansing your skin can tolerate and what brush you need, the rest is quite simple. Not everyone will experience the same reactions so it is important to understand your skin type and use the Clarisonic accordingly. In my opinion, it is one of the best cleansing brushes on the market once you get the hang of it!

To begin I usually remove my makeup with a wipe and use a foaming cleanser to get rid of oil and residue which enhances my second lather and helps prevent foundation stains on the brush. I then like to add more cleanser directly on the wet brush, turn it on and move the device in circular motions while adjusting the pressure I use. For sensitive skin, try not to press or rub the brush too hard or vigorously, let it do most of the work for you.

There are 2 modes of operation on this device: Smart Mode is the default setting which automatically adjusts power/speed and timing. The Clarisonic will beep when it is time to move on to each area of the face (20 seconds on the forehead, 20 on the nose and chin, 10 seconds on one cheek and 10 on the other). The Manual Mode allows you to select speeds from 1-4 to control the intensity and you can switch between the two programs by simply holding the (+/-) button for 3 seconds. The intuitive interface is easy to use and being able to adjust the speed creates a unique, customized experience. You can cleanse lightly or exfoliate deeply when you need resurfacing results.



The device uses 300 oscillating sonic vibrations per second to remove pore clogging makeup, excess oil, build-up and environmental pollutants that may be lodged deep within the skin’s layers. It cleans 6X better than using hands alone and may even help reduce the occurrence of blemishes. After use my skin is refreshed, smooth, supple, vibrant and polished for youthful results, smaller pores and less dryness. It also increases absorption to enhance the effectiveness of topical creams, serums and oils resulting in a clear, healthy complexion. Since incorporating this device into my skincare routine I have noticed fewer breakouts and irritation, less heat rash in the summer and more radiance plus it seems to have greatly improved my skin’s texture and tone for flawless makeup application. It also has exfoliating benefits without scratching the skin’s surface with beads or granules common in other products.

Face Brush

The Body Brush is programmed for exfoliation and massage and feels wonderful after a long day! Despite having a large selection of scrubs, I’ve never really made much time for body exfoliation aside from using a bath puff but this device makes the process enjoyable and much easier. After a day of fun in the sun I’m usually slathered in sunscreen, bug repellents and maybe even some chlorine from the pool or salt from the ocean. Usually the combination of all these things on freshly shaved or waxed limbs equals itchy, irritated skin and sometimes redness. Thankfully the body brush alleviates and foams away product build-up while providing a relaxing massage that turns shower time into a blissful retreat.

Body Brush

The Body Brush will cycle through 3 stages (30 seconds of pulsating foaming massage, 2 minutes for full body cleanse and 30 seconds for a finishing massage). You can also switch between smart mode and manual with 3 speed settings. The device is great for smoothing out rough areas like elbows and knees and after use my skin feels silky, soft and ready for summer! I also suspect that the sonic vibrations combined with the massaging motions may even help reduce cellulite if you have problem areas. After a nice warm shower, layer on some moisturizing body lotion or rich butter for a beautiful sheen.

Unlike other Clarisonic devices available, this one has a turbo button that temporarily increases the cleansing power at any time during your program. I love this setting as provides a blast of vibrations on areas that need a little extra attention. The Smart Profile also notifies you when it is time to change the brush (usually based on frequency of use or 3 months of use). Personally, I find that replacement is also relative to how well you care for the brush to prevent the bristles from becoming fatigued. The brushes usually retail for $30.00 each or you can get a 2 pack for $49.00.


The rechargeable batteries in all Clarisonic devices take a long time to charge, it is recommended that you charge the Smart Profile for a full 24 hours and since the device is sealed to make it waterproof, the battery cannot be removed or replaced. Over time it will eventually lose the ability to hold charge and once this happens it is not repairable. The good news is that this particular device has a longer battery life.

Also included in the box is the Refreshing Gel Cleanser for the face. I only recently began using cleansers from this brand and I absolutely love them! They lather into a rich creamy emulsion that efficiently removes dirt, makeup and oil without leaving my face dry and stiff. The Skin Polish is a refreshing body cleanser that is also very effective.


The Clarisonic Smart Profile retails for $299.00 Canadian and you can find it at department stores, Sephora and online by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...