Saturday, October 19, 2013

How to make your own body butter

When you purchase body butters from most stores chances are that when you see ingredients like, mango butter, shea butter and other types of butters and oils listed in the ingredients there are only tiny amounts of these essential active ingredients present. But if these butters are so good for your skin imagine how wonderful your skin would feel if you had these butters and oils in their pure, natural form without all the extra additives and the things you can't pronounce. Well that is exactly what I did. I placed an order with New Directions Aromatics which is a company that sells essential oils, botanicals, butters and other natural ingredients in their purest forms and made my own whipped body butter.

This is a homemade recipe for the ultimate body butter. It is rich and 100% pure. When you apply this butter your skin will feel soft, supple and amazing!

I call this the ultimate butter because not only is it pure and natural but it is good for: dry damaged skin, UV protection, anti-aging properties, collagen support, discoloration, antioxidant properties, contains vitamins, anti-inflammatory abilities, rejuvenates, smooths, softens, rich in fatty acids, moisturizes, helps improve the look of stretch marks and more!

So here are some of the pure butters so you can see what they look like and some facts about each


Avocado butter: 
*Has natural sunscreen properties
*Contains  vitamin: A, B, and E
*Great moisturizer for dry damaged skin
Used in: soap, face cream, lotion, lip balm and hair products
What I use it for: skin and hair. This butter is my favorite for use as a skin moisturizer.

Vitamin C (L-ascorbic): This is not a butter but it is used in this recipe
*Antioxidant
*Important component in collagen
*Makes skin supple
*Helps reduce production of age spots
*UV protection
*Anti-aging benefits for skin
*Prevents bacteria growth on skin
*Can help to lighten discolorations and spots
*Reduce the size of pores
What I use it for: skin

Hemp seed butter:
*Essential fatty acid for skin
*Moisturizes dry damaged skin
Used in: soaps, hair products, creams, lotions, sunscreen
What I use it for: hair and skin.

Pumpkin seed butter:
*Rich in vitamin: E, C and A
*Rich in fatty acids and antioxidants
*Helps rejuvenate dry damaged skin
Used in: soap, cream, lotion, lip balm, body butters
What I use it for: Skin and hair

Sweet almond butter:
*Rich in protein and vitamin D
*Used to soften and condition dry skin
*Used to condition dry damaged hair
Used in: soap, cream, lotion, lip balm, hair products, bath bombs
What I use it for: moisturize skin

Shea butter:
*Rich in vitamin B
*Anti-inflammatory properties
*Rich in fatty acids
*Penetrates deeply into skin to moisturize
*Antioxidant properties
*UV protection
*Smooth supple skin
Used in: body butters, lip balms, lotions and face creams, shaving creams, soaps
What I use it for: moisturize skin
Note: raw shea butter has an unpleasant smell so you can choose not to use this in the recipe


Mango butter:
*Antioxidant
*Soften, smooth and moisturize dry skin
*Treats burns and stretchmarks
*Helps improve the appearance of scars
*Healing and regeneration
*UV protection
Used in: lotions, body butters, balms, soaps and hair products
What I use it for: skin

Oils used:

Organic coconut oil:
*Skin moisturizer and softener
*Rich in good fats which benefit the skin
Used in: body butters, lotions, lip balms, hair products, soaps, cooking

Vitamin E oil:
*Crucial in protecting skin cells
*Protect against UV rays
*Helps reduce wrinkles

Tangerine oil: 
*Refresh, Rejuvenate and soothe the skin
used in: perfumes and soaps

Argan Oil:
*Moisturize and nourish

*Glycerin (used to thicken)
Directions
The Ultimate Body Butter 
*Please note that for this recipe you can use which ever butters you prefer as long as they are 100% pure *

1. In a mixing bowl (I used a glass bowl), put in a portion of each of the butters listed above. You can add however much you want depending on how much product you want to make.

2. Melt the butters in the microwave. Heat until they are just melted but do not overheat or you could alter the effectiveness of the butters.

3. When the butters are melted add: 1 tsp of vitamin E oil and 1 tsp of argan oil and mix well.

4. Add 12 drops of tangerine oil or until the mixture smells of citrus. This will help improve the smell of the raw ingredients. You can also add peppermint oil if you prefer.

5. Add 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin .

6. Put the mixture in the fridge until it cools and has hardened slightly. You don't want to wait until it is completely hard because you won't be able to whip it. It should look solidified but still feel soft to the touch.

7. Whip the butters using an electric mixer until it is light, airy and fluffy, it should look something like the photo below.


8. Place your body butter in a clean jar. I used an empty conditioner jar which worked well.

When your body butter settles it should look solid but feel light and airy like mousse. It is important to whip the mixture well.

Directions: For best results apply to your body directly after showering. This butter is non greasy.

For more information on New Directions Aromatics please click HERE

I hope you liked this recipe! What DIY beauty products have you made?

16 comments:

  1. One thing that's so nice about homemade products is that you know EXACTLY what's in it! This is such a good idea and the finally product looks so silky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, yes the texture after whipping the butters was almost like mousse!

      Delete
  2. This is really interesting- I've never thought about making a body butter before, but my skin could use a good one right now! I would probably use pepermint oil in this if I make it because I love that scent for the colder months! I've made a diy oatmeal face mask and a makeup brush cleanser so far, and both have worked out pretty nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your post on how to make your own brush cleanser!

      Delete
  3. This is pretty interesting. It's nice to see the real ingredients going into body butter. For all I know, the build-up of fake ingredients in store stuff could be doing me more harm than good! And btw, you do eye makeup so amazingly!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad you like the post and the makeup

      Delete
  4. Wow its really very helpful post thanks for sharing i will try this :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, if you do try it let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete

  5. this is such an interesting post!
    check my latest post if you want too:)
    NEW POST -> Tr3nDyGiRL Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting me know about this, glad you like my blog :) I have registered and followed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from France
    I am very happy to welcome you!
    Your blog has been accepted in America North Canada_____N° 120 a minute!

    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    Invite your friends to join us in the "directory"!
    The creation of this new blog "directory" allows a rapprochement between different countries, a knowledge of different cultures and a sharing of different traditions, passions, fashion, paintings, crafts, cooking,
    photography and poetry. So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world.
    The more people will join, the more opportunities everyone will have. And yes, I confess, I need people to know this blog!
    You are in some way the Ambassador of this blog in your Country.
    This is not a personal blog, I created it for all to enjoy.
    SO, you also have to make it known to your contacts and friends in your blog domain: the success of this blog depends on all Participants.
    So, during your next comments with your friends, ask them to come in the 'Directory' by writing in your comments:
    *** I am in the directory come join me! ***
    You want this directory to become more important? Help me to make it grow up!
    Your blog is in the list America North Canada_____N° 120 and I hope this list will grow very quickly
    Regards
    Chris
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/06/12090603083012502810288938.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/19/120319072128505749603643.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/07/12/12071211040212502810092867.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/28/120328020518505749640557.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/15/1203150723211250289584870.png
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/21/12092110155912502810343002.gif

    If you want me to know the blog of your friends, send me their urls which allows a special badge in the list of your country
    I see that you know many people in your country, you can try to get them in the directory?
    Please! Actively support the "Directory" by making known to your friends! Thank you! "Unity is strength"
    Not need an invitation to join the Directory. Any person who makes the request is entered

    New on the site
    Ranking of Countries
    Invite your friends know made ??
    the website to raise your ranking in the Country

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it abnormal that I want to eat all those butter NOMNOMNOM they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome!!! :D I LOVE NDA!! They have such amazing products :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amaazing, I will definitely have to try it!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great idea! I think I'll give it a try cuz I like body butters a lot. Where do you keep this butter and does it keep its' freshness for a long time?
    I have never made any spectacular beauty products. I remember once I had this mega glittery lip gloss which looked really werid on my lips and I decided to use on my eye crease for a fun sparkle look. That is as far as I went not counting using baby talc instead of regular powder (and that was really great for a zombie white make up:))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...