Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Hair Therapy SarynaKEY Pure African Shea Butter Collection Review

Shea butter has been integrated into beauty products for years and can be found in everything from soaps, makeup, lotion and oils in various quantities. What sets SarynaKEY hair care apart is that the brand collaborates with indigenous people to harvest pure African Shea butter. The raw ingredients are then incorporated into the products in high concentrations to enhance the nutritive benefits.


Shea butter, (also known as “mother nature’s conditioner) is commonly used in skincare to support collagen, diminish wrinkles, moisturize and soothe but it is also wonderful for repairing hair and reducing scalp irritation. Aside from providing a natural shield against UV and environmental assaults, Shea is also rich in vitamins, essential fats, keratin, antioxidants and amino acids, which all adds up to beautiful, lustrous hair!

Photo source: africanfairtradesociety.com

This collection is designed to revitalize dry hair, curls and waves but I think it is also suitable for treating damage from: coloring, over-processing, harsh weather, mechanical stress and styling tools. I have long (tailbone length), thick, naturally curly hair which I occasionally flat iron. In winter when humidity dissipates I usually wear it straight and sleek but come summer, it’s time for major restoration and taking a break from heat styling gives my hair time to grow and thrive.

There is nothing better than a refreshing hair treatment after a grueling, sweaty workout so I put the products to the test by starting with the Pure African Shea Shampoo. One thing I do before using any product is read the ingredient list and the first thing I happily noticed was the lack of Sodium Laureth Sulfate (hooray!). When your hair craves moisture like mine, harsh detergents may deplete too much natural oil and cause brittleness so I love how gentle this formula is. The shampoo is packed with all the things I look for in a good cleanser: shea, avocado, vitamins, grape seed oil, collagen, flower extracts, sweet almond oil and more! The pump dispenser makes shower use much easier and despite the mild cleansers it did produce a nice, light lather with a subtle, warm aroma. The formula did what a shampoo is supposed to do, it got rid of build-up and excess oils to cleanse and prep hair for moisture. I did expect my hair to feel much softer because of all the butters but it simply felt clean and fresh. The shampoo retails for $32.00.


After detangling with a creamy shampoo I rinsed and applied the Pure African Shea Butter Treatment. This deep conditioner is the real deal! The consistency it lush, rich and ultra thick - similar to a hair mask or paste. I like applying my treatments in the shower when my hair is still rather wet. I use my amazing Aqua Splash shower brush by Tangle Teezer to evenly distribute the formula and drench each and every strand before pinning my hair up into a plastic shower cap. Right away my strands felt super smooth and although the directions indicate a treatment time of 2-5 mins, I left it on for a little over an hour. The results were incredible! My hair felt silky soft, and my curls were deeply nourished, well formed, frizz-free, bouncy and manageable. Since the conditioner is also designed to maintain curl definition in humidity, I’m adding this product to my list of must-haves! It retails for $55.00.


The Pure African Shea Oil can be used before styling and protects against harmful UV which is perfect for summer. The proteins smooth, strengthen, replenish, boost shine and tames frizz without weighing down my hair or feeling greasy. This is a great treatment for damaged ends because it moisturizes and helps seal cuticles to improve the look of split-ends. It retails for $55.00.


If I decide to embrace my curls and not flat iron them into submission, a good leave-in is imperative! The Shea Cream is a leave-in moisturizer that adds structure while protecting your mane from climate damage. The velvety texture hydrates, blends well, softens and controls frizz while providing a glossy finish. I did have to pair this with a lightweight, water based gel because it didn’t provide quite enough hold but it worked well with my other products and it didn’t build-up or make my hair feel limp. The cream retails for $35.00.


After using this line I highly recommend it for medium to thick dry hair (curls or no curls) and damage restoration. If you have oily, thin or limp hair these products may be too rich for you but there are other collections from the brand that might be a better fit – (Damage Repair, Volume Lift, Color Lasting and Unique Pro).


You can find SarynaKEY at Trade Secrets and until then end of May when you spend $55.00 or more you will receive a free Redken GUTS 10 Volume Spray (valued at $22.99)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...